pin it


Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fat Free Pickle Chip Dip





Sometimes I crave food that tastes like it is a heart attack in a dish.  Cream Cheese qualifies as something that is horribly fattening, so I eat it sparingly.  However, I have a super easy recipe for chip/cracker dip that is completely fat free, yet tastes like you'll have a coronary once you see the bottom of the dish.  Here's how to make it!

Ingredients:

Dill Pickles, whole (approximately 1.5 cups diced/shredded, adjust to taste)
1 8-ounce tub of fat free cream cheese
optional dash of Worcestershire sauce
optional tbsp of minced onion

First, cut the ugly ends off of 3-5 pickles. I usually dice one and shred the other 4 in a cheese grater.  I love pickles, so I load them up in this batch.  You can use less, but it won't be as awesome.

Next, I soften the tub of cream cheese in the microwave for about 20 seconds on defrost setting and combine the cream cheese with the pickles.  All that's left is to add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, stir it up, and refrigerate until serving.  Of course,you would want to add the minced onion as well, but I never do because I think onions are gross.  If I am serving this at a party, however, I add the onion to make it fancier, and people usually gobble it up.

I prefer to use wheat thin crackers to dip in my pickle dip, but I have also used Triscuit crackers, tortilla chips, pretzels, and pretty much anything.  I don't really like potato chips, but I imagine it would be a good combination.  You would probably want to opt for the kettle cooked chips because this dip is pretty heavy once it sets.

Delicious, and it's fat free!


This recipe (if you can even call it that, it's so simple) makes approximately 10 2-ounce servings.  Here's the total nutrition breakdown:

10 Servings
Amount Per Serving
  Calories25.6
  Total Fat0.3 g
     Saturated Fat0.2 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat0.0 g
     Monounsaturated Fat0.1 g
  Cholesterol1.8 mg
  Sodium398.2 mg
  Potassium61.7 mg
  Total Carbohydrate2.2 g
     Dietary Fiber0.3 g
     Sugars0.8 g
  Protein3.4 g
  Vitamin A5.0 %
  Vitamin B-122.1 %
  Vitamin B-60.7 %
  Vitamin C0.7 %
  Vitamin D0.0 %
  Vitamin E0.2 %
  Calcium4.4 %
  Copper1.4 %
  Folate2.1 %
  Iron0.9 %
  Magnesium1.4 %
  Manganese0.7 %
  Niacin0.2 %
  Pantothenic Acid    0.6 %
  Phosphorus    10.3 %
  Riboflavin2.7 %
  Selenium1.6 %
  Thiamin1.0 %
  Zinc1.5 %


Nutrition facts courtesy of SparkRecipes Nutrition Calculator, a very awesome tool for those of us who are horrible at math.c

No comments:

Post a Comment