I have to apologize for anyone coming to this post for the lack of images. Somehow, all my blog images from June of 2014 onward were deleted, despite multiple backups and cloud storage through Google and Picasa. I am still researching this and hoping to find them, but I will likely have to take new photos and re-upload them to this blog post. Please be patient with me until I do so. Again, I am very sorry. -Ashley
I was so happy with how this turned out, except now I really want to paint my dining room, since it turns out that's the only place I have room to hang this thing:
I guess it's subtle. Keep in mind, this wreath is bigger than it looks; My dining room ceilings are about 13 feet high.
First, let's go over the supplies:
|Duct tape: on hand, or $1.00 at Dollar Tree. You only need a little bit.|
|Coffee Filters: You will need 2 packs, as I used about 200 filters for my wreath.|
|Pool noodle! One per wreath.|
To begin, cut about 18 inches off of your noodle. I eyeballed it, I just cut it to a length that I thought would give me a good wreath form. Tape the ends firmly together to create a continuous circle. If you do it tightly enough, it will not have any deformity to show the taped seam enough to effect the wreath's final look.
Next, get your glue gun ready and get your coffee filters out! The best method i found was put my finger in the center of the filter and fold the filter around it so there's a slight "point" shape. That's where I put the glue. It's easier to fold as you go, but if you lick your fingers and pull out a bunch of filters at one time, that's easier than trying to pull out a fresh one every single time.
|This is how I folded each one, don't worry about being perfect.|
|I'm pointing to where I put the glue. Prepare to get some burns today.|
For gluing, you want to use a dot of hot glue about the size of a pea or smaller. Blow on the filter to cool the glue for about 10 seconds, then place it on the noodle and hold it in place for about 20 seconds. The pool noodle will melt a little bit, so you probably want to do what I did and work next to an open window.
At first, I started out just kind of sticking the filters in a clump, to see how dense I would have to place them to hide the noodle. It's best to put these pretty close together, in my opinion. I probably placed them all about 1/2-inch apart, maybe closer in some areas.
Once you glue a filter, let it set for about 30 seconds before you glue more next to it or disturb it, this way it will set in place and not move when you bend it to get to the next spot.
|Chunk helped by napping and putting his toy opossum by me for moral support.|
After awhile, I realized it is easier to do this in sections: I flipped it over, did the bottom middle section first, and that helped even everything out, as you can see below. once I had that layer down, I flipped it back over and started going around the circle, putting coffee filters in a row above this one, and so on. You have to fold them back a lot to get to where you want to glue it, but you want them all crinkled at the end anyway.
After 2 or 3 rows, I then started doing rows perpendicular to the original direction. That is, instead of going around the loop, I started going around the circumference of the actual noodle, so I could build up a whole section and work all the way around. This was easier than going back and possibly missing spots, and I didn't have to wait as long for them to cool, since I could just stick the filter under the previous one. It also helped hold them in place to set up, so I didn't have to hold them in place myself as long.
In the end, I had to put about 6 or 7 rows of coffee filters all the way around so that the wreath could hang against a wall and not show the noodle, and also be nice and full. Yours may be different.
Here's the finished product, I'm so happy with it!
This is how I hung the wreath. I took a thin ribbon and wrapped it over the tip of a size 8 knitting needle, and I stuck it through the foam noodle. Then I tied it in a small loop.
I also added a little decorative touch, some typewriter key beads and a little glass bottle, because I felt that all that white on the wall was just too much:
|Disregard my cracked wall and paint tape marks, I REALLY need to paint this room!|
I'm so happy with how this turned out. I'm sure that you can make one that's just as beautiful. In total, it took me about an hour and a half to two hours from start to finish. It's a great TV project.
At some point, I'm going to write a tutorial for my book page wreath that I made for my wedding reception decor, and is now hanging on my living room wall:
It was also made with dollar store materials, and I think was cheaper than the coffee filter wreath to make! You'll have to wait for that post, though.
Thanks so much for reading, and don't forget to enter my giveaway for a $25.00 gift card to Outback Steakhouse! It ends on July 24, 2014 so be sure to enter!