If you read my blog, you may remember my Dining Chair Makeover Tutorial from last year. Since then, I've kind of realized, "What was I thinking with that zebra print?!" Anyway, I found a great deal on some fabric, and I set to work!
Here's the before. It worked at the time, but I'm not so into Zebra anymore, and I want something more classic for my decor.
Here's the fabric I chose, but I didn't quite like the brown with the fabric. I tried to find something I already had on hand to paint the chairs, and I found some satin espresso paint.
I painted them and waited for them to dry, but the paint color still didn't seem right.
I also grabbed some Liquid Nails construction adhesive and I fixed all the loose joints on the chair. This is such an easy step to fix old furniture, and it lasts forever!
While I was deciding on paint colors, I took off the old upholstery and reupholstered the chair seats.
I love this fabric! It's Lacefield Antique Ledger Fossil.
I briefly considered painting the chairs Covington Blue to match my drop-leaf table I just painted, but I didn't want them to look like a set.
Instead, I decided to go with black. I usually don't like dark furniture, but I thought this was the most fitting.
I used Rust-oleum Universal Black Satin finish, which has the primer built-in:
One thing I did not remember to photograph was the issues I experienced with the paint crackling. I knew I was taking a risk painting in 95-degree heat, and the paint seemed to "slide down" and crackle in one or two spots where I put it on too thick by accident. I simply waited for it to dry, sanded those spots down, and then re-painted them with a thin coat. Still, for spray paint, this paint was awesome, and was so fast!