pin it


Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Dining Chair Makeover Makeover

If you read my blog, you may remember my Dining Chair Makeover Tutorial from last year.  Since then, I've kind of realized, "What was I thinking with that zebra print?!"  Anyway, I found a great deal on some fabric, and I set to work!



Here's the before.  It worked at the time, but I'm not so into Zebra anymore, and I want something more classic for my decor.






Here's the fabric I chose, but I didn't quite like the brown with the fabric.  I tried to find something I already had on hand to paint the chairs, and I found some satin espresso paint.



I painted them and waited for them to dry, but the paint color still didn't seem right.





I also grabbed some Liquid Nails construction adhesive and I fixed all the loose joints on the chair.  This is such an easy step to fix old furniture, and it lasts forever!



While I was deciding on paint colors, I took off the old upholstery and reupholstered the chair seats.


I love this fabric!  It's Lacefield Antique Ledger Fossil.


I briefly considered painting the chairs Covington Blue to match my drop-leaf table I just painted, but I didn't want them to look like a set.


Instead, I decided to go with black.  I usually don't like dark furniture, but I thought this was the most fitting. 

I used Rust-oleum Universal Black Satin finish, which has the primer built-in:

One thing I did not remember to photograph was the issues I experienced with the paint crackling.  I knew I was taking a risk painting in 95-degree heat, and the paint seemed to "slide down" and crackle in one or two spots where I put it on too thick by accident.  I simply waited for it to dry, sanded those spots down, and then re-painted them with a thin coat.  Still, for spray paint, this paint was awesome, and was so fast!







 

Chunk approves!


No comments:

Post a Comment