pin it


Monday, July 1, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Marsala

I have seen other crock pot "chicken marsala" recipes, but it's not true marsala.  Some may argue that this isn't either, but it's the closest "crock pot" recipe you will find to what you get in the restaurants.  Trust me, I love my marsala!




Ingredients:

4-5 chicken breasts, frozen
Spaghetti, uncooked
Marsala wine 
Chicken broth

Prep/cook time:  3 hours

To start, add 1 cup of chicken broth and your frozen chicken breasts into the crock pot.  Set on high and leave for about an hour and fifteen minutes.  Flip the chicken breasts over and leave for another 45 minutes to an hour.  By now, the chicken breasts should look almost completely cooked.  Take them out of the crock pot, set them aside, and dump out the crock pot contents, which will be broth and a lot of chicken fat.

Add a cup or so of new chicken broth to the crock pot.  Add 1/2 cup of your Marsala wine (I add more, but I like a lot of marsala wine!).  Next, break your spaghetti noodles in half and lay into the crock pot until you have a single layer of noodles.  Then, put your chicken breasts on top of this.  Maybe dump a little more wine in there (well, I did).  Cover and let it continue to cook.




After about 30-45 minutes, take the lid off the crock pot.  By now, the pasta will be Al Dente but there will be a little extra liquid that needs to cook off.  It will also help to flip your chicken breasts at this point, so they don't dry out. 


Here is the finished product, with the sauce thickened:




Ready to eat! 



The great things about this meal are that it's enough to feed several people without dirtying a ton of dishes, and you can reheat the leftovers in the microwave, and it will still taste great (I tried it, it does!).  You can modify this recipe by adding some herbs or cream to it, or you can add a bit of flour to thicken the sauce sooner if you like.  When I wrote the recipe, I worked under the assumption that the starch that leeches off of the uncooked spaghetti into the crock pot will be enough to thicken it, and I was right.

I hope you enjoy your easy marsala!






2 comments:

  1. What herbs do you think would go good with this? I know Zach will look at the chicken and see that it doesn't have a gazillion different spices on it, and turn his nose up at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe some sage would be good, and a bay leaf. Parsley would be a good additive as well.

      Delete